If you’re absent this week, you’ll need to make up your missing word cards and journal responses (which are listed below). On Monday, Mrs. Webmaster went over classroom rules and helped students put together a portfolio of assignment sheets, including a “Word Card” sheet and Journal (Reading Log) sheet. Look on top of the bookshelf to find a brown “Reading” box. In that, you’ll find a manila folder with your name on it. Inside the folder, you’ll find the papers necessary to do these daily activities.
In addition to that, students will read for 30 minutes or more each day. We earn a sticker for our sticker sheets by reading. But if you’ve been absent, you simply read a library book at home for 30 minutes and have your parent sign your agenda saying that you did so. Then show this to Mrs. Webmaster, and she’ll give you the sticker you missed on the day you were gone. (For athletes, your coach can sign your agenda stating that you read on the bus that day.)
Monday, Jan. 21:
- Word card = captain (see the example)
- Journal = none
Tuesday, Jan. 22:
- Word card = magistrate
- Journal = Based only on the cover art for Treasure Island, predict what the plot of this story will be like.
Wednesday, Jan. 23:
- Word card = squire
- Journal = Predict who the two most important characters will be in Treasure Island and explain why you’ve chosen them.
Thursday, Jan. 24:
- Word card = cutlass
- Journal = Give examples from Treasure Island that may prove the author is prejudiced against handicapped people.
Friday, Jan. 25:
- There was no class today due to a dance.