If you’re absent this week, you’ll need to make up your missing word cards and journal responses (which are listed below). If you fill out a word card sheet and/or journal completely, please turn it in and get another from the reading boxes in the make-up work center at the back of the classroom.
In addition to that, students will read for 30 minutes or more each day. We earn a sticker for our sticker sheets by reading. But if you’ve been absent, you simply read a library book at home for 30 minutes and have your parent sign your agenda saying that you did so. Then show this to Mrs. Webmaster, and she’ll give you the sticker you missed on the day you were gone. (For athletes, your coach can sign your agenda stating that you read on the bus that day.)
Monday, Jan. 28:
- Word card = mutiny
- Journal = none
- We went to the library today to check out a Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, or Agatha Chrisitie novel. Please ask for a hall pass to go to the library so you can also check one out. You MUST have one for the book report that’s due near mid-term.
Tuesday, Jan. 29:
- Word card = villainous
- Journal = List the contents of the captain’s sea chest in order of importance.
Wednesday, Jan. 30:
- Word card = schooner
- Journal = none
- We had a guest teacher today, and she handed out a diagram of the schooner Hispaniola from Treasure Island. You are required to draw, label, and color this schooner. Don’t forget to turn it in when you’re done. Extra copies of the schooner diagram are found in the extra credit box in the make-up work center (although this is NOT extra credit; it’s an actual assignment).
Thursday, Jan. 31:
- Word card = pious
- Journal = Compare and contrast the characters of Percy Jackson and Jim Hawkins.
Friday, Feb. 1:
- There was no class today due to Fun Friday.
If you’d like a hard or digital copy of the handouts I’ve created for this and other classes I teach, please visit the “blog” section of my sister website, English Emporium.