DAILY LANGUAGE REVIEW: Ask your teacher if she took grades on the DLR and find out from a classmate which one(s) you missed. If you were absent when your teacher took grades on the DLR, find a copy of the one you missed in the make-up work center. Take it home and edit and/or revise it as needed. Before you turn it in to the teacher, please draw a box around the one you missed with a highlighter pen, and tell your teacher “I still need a grade for this.” (Otherwise it may get lost in the stacks of other DLR assignments.)
DAILY CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES:
Monday, Oct. 12: Today we turned in our Titanic essays. If you were gone for this, follow these steps:
- On the board, you’ll find a staple order. Please turn your papers in, stapled in that order.
- Go get a “Six Traits Form” from the make-up work center, at the back of the classroom. You should be able to find this half-sheet of paper in the tallest box, which is unmarked.
- Fill out the “Six Traits Form” just like you see it on the board.
- Highlight all the vocabulary words that you used in your essay, using one shade of highlighter pen (like yellow).
- Highlight your quoted sentences and parenthetical citations, using another shade of highlighter pen (like pink). If you need to borrow highlighter pens, you can find them in the top drawer, in the make-up work center.
Tuesday, Oct. 13: Today we read two stories in the literature book. As we read these stories, we took notes in the form of a T-chart, comparing and contrasting the chronological order and points of view in the two stories. The stories are:
- A graphic novel about 9/11, entitled “The 9/11 Report,” found on pages 542 – 548
- A nonfiction narrative story, entitled “102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers”
Wednesday, Oct. 14: If you need more time to finish reading the September 11th stories in the literature book, please plan to come to Friday school this week. It will be held on Friday, Oct. 16, 2015, from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
Thursday, Oct. 15: Today we took our mid-term test. Please set an appointment to come in after school or plan to come to the next Friday school, to make up this important test, if you missed it.